Sunday, February 7, 2010

What's Up Front?

When writing a script, do you need to answer certain questions up front or can you just let the process flow? This is an old question that's been asked many times. The answers fit into two categories: the "let it flow" school and the "let's get organized" school. I lean towards the latter although there are many successful writers, Ray Bradbury among them I believe, that lean toward unrestricted creativity.

I never argue with success and I rarely tell anyone else how to write but in my mind, and keep in mind the caveat that I am still uncredited, the following questions need to be answered up front:

1. Who's the main character?
2. What's his objective?
3. Who's the antagonist?
4. In other words, what's the central conflict?
5. Is the concept broadly appealing or limited to a specific audience?
6. Is there a hook, something uniquely appealing in the story?
7. What's the knockout climax that's going to "wow" the reader?
8. Do you have a great first ten minutes?
9. What's the main tension, the compelling question of act two?
10. Have you created some sympathetic characters and/or relationships?
11. Have you created some great roles that will attract A-list stars?

That's my eleven. I was shooting for ten but Procrustes lost to Theseus.

No comments:

Post a Comment