Monday, February 8, 2010

The #1 Quality of a Good Story

Obviously it's a bit arrogant of me to claim to know the answer to that question, but I'll take my shot.

I just finished watching John Ford's The Searchers, previous post here. And it's caused me to rethink my understanding of story telling. Why is this film so watchable? It's not the acting or the characters; I don't like John Wayne and the characters aren't special. It's not the action sequences. Nor is it the scenic shots of Monument Valley.

It's because the film created a compelling question in my mind. Early on, the story created a question that I had to know the answer to. I watched ninety minutes of occasionally slow drama to learn the answer to the question, "Will they find Debbie?" That question drives the entire story!

I'm adding two new questions to the 8percent Grid:
1. Does your story create a compelling question in the mind of the audience?
2. Do your scenes and sequences frequently create compelling questions in the mind of the audience?

No comments:

Post a Comment